North Kingstown VFW Post Scholarships.
The North Kingstown VFW Post 152 offers two $1000 one time award scholarships in honor of 2 men who exemplify the ideals of our nations and the VFW.
The first is the Command Sergeant Major Gerald "Gerry” Davis Scholarship. CSM Davis grew up right here in Wickford. He was Captain of the North Kingstown Football team and later inducted into the North Kingstown HS Hall of Fame. CSM Davis went on multiple deployments including Iraq and achieved the highest enlisted rank before his retirement after 30 years of service. The second is the Harold McWilliams Scholarship. Harold McWilliams was a lifelong resident of North Kingstown who served in the Korean War where he was awarded the bronze star for bravery and the Purple Heart. After the war, he came home and worked at the fish hatchery rising up to be the head foreman. Never forgetting his time in the service and his sense of duty he joined the VFW where he was a life member and served in the position from the state to local level and always gave back to local citizens and veterans alike. Both of these men were pillars in our community. They may have given up the uniform, but they, like the rest of us in the VFW haven't given up the commitment to serve our community.
Eligibility: Currently, the two scholarships we offer are open to all North Kingstown High School seniors who are a child or grandchild of a veteran. Since they are in honor of two NKHS alumni who went on to serve our nation and then later in our community we will only accept applications from NKHS students. If we do not receive any submissions from any NKHS students we will open it up to any high school student who resides in North Kingstown.
All applications must be submitted prior to the 1st of May.
Military Women Across the Nation College Scholarship
This $1,000 scholarship is available to a relative - male or female - of a military woman.
The 2019 essay topic is "The Role of Military Women in the National Guard.”
1. May be female or male but must be a civilian relative of a Military Woman who has served or is serving honorably in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard or their Guard or Reserve components. The relationship may be by birth, legal adoption or marriage.
2. Must have a 3.2 or better Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
3. Must be a high school senior or undergraduate college student.
4. Entries must be submitted by 18 March 2019: NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Military women and veterans may NOT APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP.